Monday, June 18, 2012

Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??! - W.C. Fields

Day 03 - Your views on drugs and alcohol.

I'm sure this post will one day be a potential future employer's jackpot, but hey, YOLO, right?

Drugs 
The word "drug" covers a broad spectrum. There's marijuana and cocaine, LSD and prescription drugs. Drugs are everywhere these days. I went to a high school where I could have found almost any drug you wanted on any corner, and I had friends who tried smoking and friends who tried acid. In high school, I was never one of those kids. I was the girl who sat back and judged everyone who did. The kids that tried drugs hung out in the McDonalds parking lot on Friday, and, frankly, that was "trashy" to me. A few months later, college got me to eat those words. I'm not necessarily saying I've tried drugs, because this is the internet, and even though I joked about future employers seeing this, they actually really could. I will say, however, that college made me stop judging.

I don't condone anyone doing drugs. I think anything harder than marijuana can really mess you up and that if you smoke it often enough marijuana can do that, too. I firmly believe that marijuana is a gateway drug, no matter what people who regularly smoke it say. Try it once or twice, maybe, if that's your thing. If you like it that much, do it every once in a blue moon. That's your business. When it turns into wanting to do it every day, or every week even, that's a problem. I've seen it take hold of too many people for it to interest me. Anything harder than pot scares me way too much to even entertain. "Celebrity Rehab" will scare you out of that real fast...

Alcohol
Touchy, touchy. Alcohol is a pretty big controversy in my house. My parents owned a liquor store for 12 years of my life, and my grandparents still own one. No one in my family (minus one uncle... but everyone has those) drinks regularly. My great grandfather had a real issue, so all of his children and grandchildren have been too scared to drink very often.

Do I think moms should let their high schoolers run around drunk every weekend? Absolutely not. High schoolers need to go ice-skating or do their homework. But college is college. If we have any ounce of self-respect, we're probably going to go out almost every weekend. A lot of people going out will drink. Some will not. It's really a personal choice. I don't think you have to drink to go out and have fun with friends, but if you're not throwing up, drinking every single night, or driving, I really don't have a problem with it. I've seen it make for some pretty interesting nights. Like marijuana, though, it can take hold of you. Drinking every day isn't cool. Drinking every day of every weekend really isn't cool either. Letting alcohol interfere so badly that you miss work or class isn't worth it.

If it's not extremely addiction-forming and not something that takes a hold of your life, go for it if that's what you choose. When it comes to drugs or alcohol, I like to think that everyone's business is their business (unless they're driving or hurting others, of course).

Do what's right for you, but be smart about it. Oh, and keep it off Facebook. Please.

Writer's Note: YOLO was a joke. I'm not that lame. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment