Sunday, June 17, 2012

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future - Oscar Wilde

Day 02 - Where you'd like to be in 10 years


Growing up in the South, I'd like to see myself married with kids.

I've become a victim of my environment. Years of being raised in the southern culture have drilled in my mind that "married with kids" should be my first answer. Some people escape this mentality, but I haven't. It's the number one priority in my mind. It keeps my biological clock ticking. Fast. I'm twenty and I have two years until I graduate. Down here, that doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

My cousin got married the weekend after she graduated from college. Three years later, she hasn't mentioned to any of us having kids anytime soon. A lot of people think that's weird. That's how we're bred to think.

In ten years, I would hope my kids would be just before school age, so I'd like to be at home with them. I'm all about going to college and getting my degree, and I really do want to work, but I feel like the five years before a child goes to school is a critical period. If at all possible I will stay home with my kids for at least that long. I would also hope that I would have an absolutely amazing marriage - one that still takes my breath away and gives me butterflies.

On the career front, I would hope that I would have my masters in public service or public administration and have worked at least a few years for a big nonprofit. Grad school and nonprofit work will probably bring me to Baton Rouge, and I could definitely see myself living there permanently. It's doesn't exactly compare to the town I live in now, but it's got a ton of diversity and a lot of culture. I could be happy there.

So for now, that's my plan. Husband. Kid(s). Nonprofit work. Baton Rouge.

We'll see how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment